Cold, flu and allergy season got you or your kids down? Honey, ginger, and lemon provide a powerful, home remedy for sore throats, mucus, and coughs. And what better way to get your kids to drink their medicinal remedy than to make lemonade popsicles.
- Sliced Ginger Root (about 1 inch, peeled)
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
- Ice / Cold Water
- Popsicle Maker
- Boil water, ginger, and honey. Once honey is incorporated, remove from heat and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- While your mixture rests, pour lemon juice and ice into a pitcher.
- Using a small strainer, pour honey ginger water into pitcher. Press firmly to ensure that as much ginger drips into the pitcher as possible.
- Add water and stir until well incorporated.
- Taste and add more honey or lemon juice based on whether you prefer your lemonade sweet or tart.
- Pour lemonade into popsicle holders, add sticks, and freeze.
Popsicle Bath – Fun Activity for Sick Kids
Being sick is no fun, and it can be just as miserable to take care of a sick kid. One of our favorite sick day activities is a popsicle bath. It’s exactly what it sounds like. I put my kid in a bath and give her one of our honey-ginger lemonade popsicles.
The bath helps my toddler relax and gives her body some time to rest. The popsicle offers much needed fluids, and it’s medicinal properties helps alleviate her symptoms. Plus, the bath takes care of any mess she makes eating her popsicle, and she thinks it’s really fun.
Honey, ginger and lemon provide a proven and safe home remedy for children over the age of one. Honey not only soothes sore throats and coughs, but it marks a natural antibiotic and anti-inflamtory. Ginger eases allergy symptoms as well as viral infections. Finally, lemon’s strong flavor reduces the urge to cough by stimulating saliva, which in turn soothes sore throats according to Livestrong.com.